Victoria Independent School District

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu

Child Find

Access to Child Find is part of your child's Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE). Your child must have an educational need for services which cannot be provided in general education. The ARD Committee must determine how the disability affects participation in age appropriate activities.

Description/Purpose: The purpose of Child Find is to locate, identify, and evaluate children from birth to 21 years of age and their possible need for special education and related services. Child Find is a free referral and information service available through Victoria Independent School District (VISD) and Education Service Center Region III.

Referral Process: Requests for a Full and Individual Evaluation may be made by parent, the district, or a state agency. During the referral process, appropriate personnel will obtain information in the areas(s) of suspected disability. This group of school district personnel, with the input of parents, will determine if evaluation is necessary to determine if there is a disability. When needed, appropriate personnel will evaluate formally in the areas(s) of suspected disability. A physician or community agency may recommend that your child be referred for evaluation; however, the parent must initiate the request with the district.

Eligibility: Your child must have a disability as defined through federal and state guidelines. As a result of this disability, your child must demonstrate an educational need for services. Disability categories include the following:
  • Auditory Impairment*
  • Autism
  • Deaf-Blind*
  • Emotional Disturbance
  • Intellectual Disability
  • Learning Disability
  • Multiple Impairment
  • Other Health Impairments
  • Orthopedic Impairment
  • Speech/Language Impairment
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Visual Impairment*
*Services may begin at birth for children with visual and/or auditory impairments. 
How do I get my child tested for a disability?
Is your child enrolled in a VISD school?
  • Contact campus principal, speech pathologist, diagnostician, and/or LSSP. 
Is your child enrolled in a private school?
  • In Texas, home-schooled students are considered private school students. Students who attend a private school within VISD are eligible for referral, evaluation and determination of eligibility for special education regardless of the child’s district of residence. Contact VISD Special Education Department or Region 3.
Is your child enrolled in a center for Early Childhood intervention (ECI)?
  • The ECI case manager will invite you to a transition meeting with representatives from VISD. You will receive a call from the Child Find Clerk with the date, time, and location for the assessment.
Is your child enrolled with Head Start?
  • Discuss your concerns with the teacher. If you and the teacher feel an evaluation is needed, contact the VISD Special Education Department, VISD Child Find Clerk, or Region 3.
Is your child not enrolled in school?
  • Contact the VISD Special Education Department, Child Find Clerk, or Region 3.

Child Find Contacts: 
Trudy Krug
Special Education Coordinator
Phone: 361-788-9242
Location: VISD Special Education Dept., 102 Profit Drive
Adrien Monaco
Child Find Clerk
Phone: 361-788-9653
Location: VISD Child Find Office,
2905 Miori Lane
ESC Region 3
Location: 1905 Leary Lane
Phone: 361-573-0731
Notice of Procedural Safeguards

A Notice of Procedural Safeguards is a document that explains the rights of parents of children with disabilities.

Parent Resources