VISD Math Philosophy
Each VISD teacher of mathematics will create a classroom environment in which students will make sense of mathematics and acquire confidence in using it. Through the VISD Mathematics Program, students will understand mathematics and be able to use it in purposeful ways.
As educators in VISD, we believe in a guaranteed and viable mathematics curriculum which is vertically and horizontally aligned PK – 12 and is implemented with fidelity across the district.
We are committed to:
* The components of numeracy include flexibility, automaticity**, creativity, sophistication, efficiency, accuracy and mental, alternative and traditional algorithms (horizontal and vertical).**Automaticity is the ability to do things without occupying the mind with the low-level details required, allowing it to become an automatic response pattern or habit. It is usually the result of learning, repetition, and practice.
- utilizing a curriculum which supports learning through exploration and solving real-world problems and allows students to construct meaning and make sense of learning mathematics.
- challenging our students to communicate their processes for solving math problems using correct academic vocabulary and to make connections that allow them to own and value learning mathematics.
- engaging students using resources, tools, and technology to solve mathematically rich, real-world problems that meet the needs of a diverse population of learners.
- developing *numeracy in students through a deep understanding of mathematical relationships to empower them to interact with numbers flexibly, accurately and efficiently.