Pregnancy Related Services are support services, including Compulsory Education Home Instruction (CEHI), that a pregnant student receives during the pregnancy prenatal and postpartum periods to help her adjust academically, mentally, and physically and stay in school.
VISD Family Connection provides these services to a student when:
- the student is pregnant and attending classes on a VISD campus;
- the pregnancy prenatal period prevents the student from attending classes on a VISD campus; and
- the pregnancy postpartum period prevents the student from attending classes on a VISD campus.
Support services provided by VISD Family Connection and the student’s campus may
- counseling services including the initial session when the student discloses the pregnancy;
- health services including services from a school nurse and certified athletic trainer;
- transportation for the student and the student’s child(ren) to school and VISD Child Development Center;
- instruction (inside and outside the classroom) related to parenting knowledge and skills,
including child development, home and family living, and appropriate job readiness
- child care for student’s children from 4 weeks to 24 months at the Teen Parent Connection Center;
- case management and service coordination (assistance in obtaining services from government agencies and community service organizations).
Compulsory Education Home Instruction (CEHI)
CEHI is a mandatory support service components districts offer in the Pregnancy Related Services (PRS) program to help students adjust academically, mentally and physically, and to stay in school.
Eligibility for Services - Any school-age student who is in the prenatal or postpartum period of pregnancy. This includes students who
- deliver live, aborted or stillborn baby
- suffer a miscarriage or leath of a newborn or
- place a baby up for adoption
Eligibility for Funding - Students who are eligible for average daily attendance (ADA) and who are eligible for PRS Program services are eligible for funding under the PRS program beginning on the dates services begin.
End of Eligibility - Eligibility for PRS ends when the student returns from postpartum confinement to resume her regular classes at a school campus.