To enroll a child in school, it is the responsibility of the parent/legal guardian to complete enrollment using the online registration system and to provide the following documents to the school:
- Student identification to verify student's identity (one of the following):
Proof of Residency (verified by District personnel)—recent utility bill (electric, gas, or water) from last 30 days showing the residential service address; rental lease agreement; recent rent receipts; or home purchase contract.
Child's current immunizations records signed by a doctor.
- Birth Certificate
- Hospital Birth Record
- School ID card, records, or report card from school most recently attended.
- Military ID
- Adoption Records
- Church Baptismal Record
- Any other legal document that establishes identity
Social Security Card (optional)
- In the case of a student entering the District from another state or country outside the United States, proof of immunization will be required at the time of admittance.
- For more information about required immunizations, see or call Health Services at 361-788-9331 or click here to view immunization requirements.
School records from the school most recently attended by the child (if available)
Parent/Guardian's Photo Identification (valid driver’s licence or state-issued identification card)
Any court order in existence that pertains to the child (as applicable).
Proof of eligibility (only for state-funded pre-k students)
Power of Attorney—only required if student lives with someone other than his/her parent/legal guardian
Determination of Residency—only required if parent and student live with someone else at their residence.
- If the student does not have a Social Security number, VISD will assign a state-approved alternative student identification number.
Although enrollment shall not be denied solely on the basis of failure to provide these records, the District shall notify the appropriate law enforcement agency before the 31st day after the person fails to comply.
NOTE: Furnishing false information is a criminal offense under Penal Code 37.10.