Graduation Plans Updated According to New State Guidelines (as of May 7)
Victoria ISD is making adjustments to the senior commencement walk, as a result of new guidance issued by the State of Texas earlier this week. Be advised, this permission from the State is subject to change as public health conditions change.
Given the direction that in-person outdoor ceremonies are only allowed on or after June 1, 2020, VISD is changing the dates of the graduation walk ceremonies to June 1-5:
- Victoria West High School will be held June 1 and 2
- Victoria East High School will be held June 3 and 4
- Liberty will be held June 5
Each student will also be allowed to be accompanied by up to 5 (five) members of their household.
District Requirements for Commencement Walk Celebration
VISD will abide by all of the following requirements in order to protect the health and safety of students and their guests:
- Prior to attending the ceremony, participating students and attending family members will be screened by District employees for any of the following new or worsening signs or symptoms of possible COVID-19:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- Loss of taste or smell
- Feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit
- Known close contact with a person who is lab confirmed to have COVID-19, if exposure to the active confirmed case occurred within the last 14 days
Those found with any of these signs or symptoms will not be allowed to enter Memorial Stadium;
- All employees, students, and other visitors must wear cloth face coverings (over the nose and mouth) while inside any facilities. Graduates may only remove their mask for their photo on stage. Masks will not be provided by the district;
- No rehearsals will be permitted;
- All participants will maintain 6 (six) feet or more of spacing, except members of the same household (five individuals or fewer, excluding the graduate);
- Hand sanitizer or hand washing stations will be available at all venue entrances;
- Commonly touched surfaces will be frequently cleaned and sanitized;
- Gloves will be worn by those distributing diploma covers to students;
- District employees will be stationed appropriately to ensure compliance with all requirements and to limit congregation;
- Communication will be provided to ensure participants are aware of the safety protocols before, during, and after the ceremony;
- Graduates and guests will not be allowed to congregate outside of the ceremonies or facility grounds.
Administrators continue planning to ensure we appropriately implement social distancing measures, other safety measures, and logistics of the ceremony. Specific details, such as assigned student arrival times, parking, etc. will be forthcoming.VISD is committed to working with our senior class to design graduation plans that honor their achievement while complying with the necessary health and safety guidelines.